Friday 25 July 2008

Snorkelling the wreck


Up at seven, went for a swim in the sea just as the sun was coming up. The others went off to film James having a diving lesson in the pool. I headed off towards Stuarts Cove, and had an interesting dive round the headland. There is still some ancient forest here which is now a reserve also archaeologists have found evidence of the first sttlers in the the Bahamas which date to around 1500 years ago. When I arrived at Stuarts Cove Adriana met me at the gate and thought I was a tourist which was vaguely amusing. I soon set off back to Lyford Cay in search of a hardware shop, where I bought various containers for plankton samples and a large tarpaulin as Adraiana was paranoid about her carpet. the others turned up as I got back and we all got ready fgor the afternoon dive on the wreck. We headed out on a hard boat for about 5 minutes. David Jones the diving officer briefed the two rebreather divers and the trainee James, while being fimed on DVcam (Scot)with a sound recordis (Simon). Dougi was feeding James soundbites, while Miranda was sheltering from the sun. The DV cam housing leak indicator was playing up so there were a few false starts but eventually things settled down. Got in a gorgeous snorkel session, looking at the sunken boat from above, tried to touch the top which was about 10 metres but got within two feet of it before I had to give up, later with practice I was able to touch the wreck. On the way back deployed the plankton nets, got some good samples but unfortunately most were dead by the time the boat had docked. This is a problem that needs overcoming, so tomorrow will attempt to bring em back alive using aerators.

No comments: